As a teacher consultant/resource room teacher I have many responsibilities to keep track of throughout the course of a day/week. Between seeing my caseload of students, checking in with teachers, meeting with parents, and completing paperwork it’s hard to stay on top of everything! I have identified some fool proof ways to lessen stress and increase productivity!
- Write it down! If I don’t write it down, I will not remember it. Someone will start talking to me or a student will ask me a question and it will be gone. I go back and forth between paper to do lists and electronic ones. Find what works best for you and stick to it, I like the stickies application for my desktop. I recommend checking out Evernote and Google Keep for those who like to keep things digital.
- Prioritize – figure out what needs to be done immediately, today, this week, or later. Then conquer the most pressing things first! I find it helpful to conquer tasks in order of urgency.
- Handle one task at a time! As a woman, I feel that it is in my genetics to try to multi-task at all times. While I may be able to talk to a student, answer an email, and look over lesson plans all at the same time it doesn’t ensure quality work. Sticking with one task at a time allows me to increase productivity. I have to fight my nature to hop from task to task every five minutes but I find that when I stick to one assignment until it’s done, my work is completed efficiently and successfully.
- Reward yourself with breaks. When I have a huge to do list and never ending paperwork to complete I like to reward myself for staying focused and completing tasks. Sometimes I will set a timer for myself for how long I want to work (do what works for you, I usually do about 15 minutes) after completing this I will reward myself with 3-5 minutes of pinterest time, instagram scrolling, twitter updating, etc. Having the little break to look forward to keeps me motivated to work for the duration of the set time.
- Utilize “do not disturb” on your phone. This has been a huge one for me this year! I found myself constantly being distracted by the lighting up or vibrating of my phone. Every time I received an instagram notification or text message I was instantly drawn away from my work and sucked into my phone. Using “do not disturb” allows me to control when I see these notifications and to remain focused at work. I leave this on typically all day and I have seen a huge improvement in my focus and productivity.
Those are my five ways to increase productivity. I would love to hear how you get more done. Leave me a note in the comments 🙂